International House Certificate in Teaching Younger Learners and Teens
The International House Certificate in Teaching Younger Learners and Teenagers (IH CYLT) is a teacher training course and certificate which is designed to prepare Course Participants (CPs) to teach English as a foreign or an additional language (EFL/EAL) to children between 2 and 16 years old.
Who is it for?
- Qualified teachers with no prior experience of teaching young learners
- Qualified teachers who have already taught young learners but would like specific training
To prepare teachers for the specific challenges of working with young learners and teenagers, through a blend of input sessions and face-to-face assessed teaching practise.
- 20 input sessions of 90 minutes each.
- 3 hours of teaching practice
- 2 written assignments
- Lesson planning, tutorials, homework and observation tasks.
Sessions cover areas such as:
· Child Development
· Clarifying and Practising Language
· L1 in the classroom
· Teaching Very Young Learners
· Teaching Adolescents
· Material Design and Selection.
Structure & Assessment
Two written assignments: one on teaching materials, plus a self-reflection task. Four teaching practice sessions with two different age groups, observed by a tutor with YL experience in an IH school. The course is taught by qualified, experienced YL English teachers. The final portfolio is moderated by the IH Assessment Unit.
Course Date and Schedule:
6 Feb 2016; Saturdays 9 am – 3 pm