IH Teacher Training Certificate
Who is it for?
The International House Teacher Training Certificate course is designed for experienced teachers who are interested in moving into the field of teacher training. It is not intended to replace the existing observation and training up process that is in place for many courses, but to provide some of the theoretical background and frameworks. Where possible, it is not course-specific but designed to enable trainers to work on any number of pre-service and in-service teacher training courses. In some cases, however, more reference will be made to the CELTA / IHCTL-type of course. Given the observation and feedback roles of many middle management teaching jobs, the course is also suitable for a teacher who is working in an in-house teacher development context.
We expect you are:
– To give Course Participants (CPs) a basic grasp of the main issues and techniques involved in teacher training so they are better prepared to observe an initial teacher training course or assist on an in-service teacher development course.
– To help a more senior teacher develop in their in-house Teacher Development role.
This is a 12-module course, delivered asynchronously entirely online via our VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) site. Covering one-module a week the course is 14 weeks long, followed by a two-week period for the final reflective task to be submitted. The course is made up of input, discussion and research type tasks. The modules cover:
- An introduction to teacher training and development
- The skills of a teacher trainer
- Understanding a trainee and the environment training is taking place
- Reading your audience and managing difficulties
- Developing training sessions
- Support in the (trainee) teacher
- Developing a teacher development programme
- Organising an in-house observation
- Managing feedback
- The assessment process
- Technology in the training world
- Reading and research
- An introduction to reflective practice
Structure & Assessment
The course is run entirely online by qualified online tutors. Assessment is done by means of an electronic portfolio. Each module has a homework task that forms part of the portfolio. Participants are expected to submit a minimum of 75% of the tasks to their portfolio. In addition there is a final reflective essay. The portfolio is moderated by the IH Assessment Unit who agree the final grades with the course tutors. Moderation takes approximately 28 days from the submission of the final portfolio. The grading of the course is Pass or Fail.
This course is designed to be completed on the basis of approximately 1-2 hours per day and it is expected that a candidate will spend 7 to 10 hours per week studying in total. However, you are under no obligation to visit the course as frequently as this and you may prefer to do more work at weekends rather than on a daily basis. However, please note, some of the tasks require group work and have deadlines.
IH Staff: £275 (excluding VAT)
£330 (including VAT)
Non-IH Staff: £550 (excluding VAT)
£660 (including VAT)
These prices include VAT. If the fee will be paid by a business outside of the UK, VAT can be deducted from the prices listed. Please enquire upon application.